Sunday, June 1, 2008


November 28, 1493
A seagull making noises from the masthead woke me early this morning and to my surprise, land was not far off in the distance. It was finally time to step on the sandy ground of Navadid to once again reunite myself with my older brother, Huego, who was left there from Columbus’s first voyage in January. However, as I set foot on the beach, the smell of sulfur stung my nose and some was present in the atmosphere. Columbus, in a fit of rage, stormed out through the tropical forests complaining that his fort had been burned down and his men killed in battle. I immediately rushed to see if I could find my brother’s body still breathing. Many of the dead bodies that I found had pockets full of gold and what looked like a bloody death because of greedy desires. The chief of a neighboring tribe had explained to us that the men left in charge of the fort had raided the tribe and as retaliation, the tribe burned down Columbus’s fort and killed its inhabitants. It was not long before we set sail again and headed out to explore the eastward coast of Hispaniola.

No comments: